Sub Title

A Newfoundland Photography and Knitting Blog by Betty Nolan

Monday, April 8, 2013

Watcha Been Up To, Ellen?

Ellen's been hangin' around waiting for me to knit things for her to wear. I did machine knit a spring scarf with buttons that can be worn as a scarf or buttoned and worn as a cowl. The buttons can be popped in anywhere in the lace. This gives a lot of freedom for the wearer. It's machine knit with Knit Picks Organic Cotton and Knit Picks Shimmer using the thread lace mechanism on the knitting machine. The organic cotton makes it like Baby Bear's porridge - not too hot and not too cold!

The other items I've knit, Ellen can't model them because they are too small for her. I went looking for a child mannequin a few weeks ago. We didn't find one locally, but one of the warehouses we went into had a stand with a hanger. The hanger was adult size so I asked John to cut it down to child size, which he did (and did a fine job of it too!). So, while I don't have a mannequin for showing children's knitwear, we have an acceptable stand/hanger.

The dress is machine knit with Knit Picks Organic Cotton. I wanted to design and make a child's dress with this cotton because it is soft and feels nice next to the skin. The child's sweater is hand knit with Paton's Devine using a pattern I found in a Lopi pattern book but had to make a lot of changes to make it smaller than the pattern stated, add a hood with strings, buttons instead of a zipper and so on..... The dress and sweater were knit for my little friend, Katherine. She likes both items!

All the while, we've been having some decent weather. So yesterday we went out and about with the camera. It was super windy so Ellen had to stay home or we'd be fishing her out of the Atlantic! No big waves yesterday despite the high wind although there were a lot of white caps on the ocean. I've heard it said that the big waves happen 2-3 days after the high winds. I might take a trip to the beach tomorrow to see if this is true.

We went to Portugal Cove and then around to Middle Cove Beach.








Portugal Cove

I guess Goat Cove Trail is nearby.


Yes, the name on the boat is "Breaking Wind".
Middle Cove Beach
I had the camera set to "posterized effect" to see how the picture would come out.

Left the camera on "posterized" and snapped this picture.
I guess 'someone' is in training.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment